Biological dentists recognize the impact of toxic materials and relate it to dental and physiological health. These dentists are concerned with the integrity of the oral cavity and use materials and procedures in their practices that are systemically compatible.
Is there a concern about the use of mercury in dentistry?
Many people do not realize the "silver" amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person's body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless. Especially considering its cumulative effect.
Is there an associated health risk?
Mercury is the most toxic, non-radioactive element on the earth. Most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of mercury in all products. However, the potential harmful effects of mercury fillings have been ignored by the U.S. Government. Due to its poisonous nature, mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems. Under laboratory conditions, mercury has produced brain cell deterioration identical to that seen in victims of Alzheimer's disease.
Should I have my mercury fillings removed?
The IAOMT believes you should (unless you are pregnant or lactating). Mercury vapor is continuously emitted from dental fillings and accumulates in the body over time. The damaging effects of this exposure may not manifest for years or even decades. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that even low levels of mercury cause measurable adverse health effects. Mercury in the tissues of a fetus or infant correlates significantly with the number of dental amalgam fillings in the mother. Newborns may be at risk for learning disabilities because of mercury their mother absorbed during pregnancy. Many physicians are testing their patients for mercury toxicity and referring them to biological dentists. Across scientific disciplines, health professionals are realizing that mercury may adversely impact patient health.
Should I take supplements prior to mercury filling removal?
Most biological dentists work in conjunction with physicians, who may prescribe supplements prior to the removal of mercury fillings. It is imperative that chronically ill patients seek advice from a physician knowledgeable in mercury toxicity issues.
Where can I find a dentist trained in these techniques?
Dr. Tebbi is a member of the IAOMT, a group of dentists, physicians and researchers involved in peer-reviewed scientific research, education and the promotion of biological dentistry. The IAOMT encourages the use of biocompatible materials and the development of appropriate protocols to ensure whole-body patient health. The tenets of a good dental practice should be based on peer-reviewed research - not on conventional wisdom. Most importantly, the materials and procedures used in dentistry should not adversely affect the rest of the body.
*Accredited Members - Accreditation by the IAOMT indicates that a member has been trained and tested in the basics of biocompatible dentistry, including current methods for safe removal of dental amalgam.